The 1.4 million-plus active-duty United States armed forces personnel will have a special opportunity to experience arts and cultural organizations this summer, thanks to the Blue Star Museums program. From Memorial Day through Labor Day, many museums, art centers and exhibits across the nation offer free entrance to soldiers, sailors and many more enlisted and commissioned staff, along with their families.
In central Indiana, the following organizations open their doors during the summer to active duty, National Guard and Reserve members of the armed forces.
- JB Lyle/Parish Photography
SSgt. George J. Preen III USMC and his daughter Scarlett at the San Antonio Museum of Art in Texas during the 2014 Blue Star Museums launch on May 21.
- Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site
- Conner Prairie
- Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art
- Indiana Historical Society/Eugene and Marilyn Glick Indiana History Center
- Indiana Medical History Museum
- Indianapolis Museum of Art
- Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library
- NCAA Hall of Champions
Find more participating organizations on this online museum map. This program is a partnership among the National Endowment for the Arts, Blue Star Families, Joining Forces, MetLife Foundation and museums across the country.